iVisa.com

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Expatriates from Kerala celebrate Vishu festival

Dubai: Many families of Indian expats from the southern state of Kerala on Tuesday celebrated Vishu - the astronomical new year's day - with traditional gaiety.

"I received a lot of Kaineetom [gifts] from my family members," said six-year old Vineet Nair, referring to the practice of elders presenting small sums of money to young members of the family.

Although he was born in the UAE, Vineet's parents have made sure that all traditional cultural festivals in India are celebrated by the family.

"The best thing about Vishu is the Kaineetom which I receive after I see the 'Vishukani' at 5am and seek the blessings of my parents and elder sister by touching their feet," said Vineet counting the money he had received as gift.

Vishukani is an arrangement of an oil lamp, mirror, fruits and vegetables, rice, betel leaves and nut and fresh linen seeing which first thing in the morning on the Vishu day is believed to be auspicious for the rest of the year. The arrangement, which is a throwback of an agrarian past, is traditionally embellished with the yellow flowers of "konna" tree (Cassia fistula).

Vishu is celebrated in the south Indian state of Kerala on the first day of the Malayalam month of Medam (coinciding with Taurus on the zodiac).

"Back home the 'Vishukkani' is also taken to the cattle-shed so that it is also seen by the cattle. This year we did not get to buy the special yellow flowers, but yet we went ahead and collected all that is required," said Lisa Mathew. "I make sure I bring up my children with the same cultural background as mine. Some festivals are universal," she added.

"I called my parents back home in Kerala and wished them a fantastic year ahead. Can you believe me I asked my parents for 'Kaineetom', aid Kavita Menon, who works in a television station. "Back home my mom must have cooked a feast. Here I packed sandwiches for lunch," Menon said.

Arrangement: Symbols of prosperity

- Vishu is a festival celebrated by Malayalees.
- It is celebrated on the first day of Malayalam month of Medam.
- Vishukkani includes articles considered auspicious like raw rice, fresh linen, ripe yellow cucumber, betel leaves, arecanut, metal mirror, the yellow flowers of 'konna' (Cassia fistula), and coins, in a metal vessel called 'uruli'.
- Nilavilakku is an oil metal lamp with open flames.
- Yellow 'Konna' flower is the flower of Cassia fistula.
- Kaineettam is the gift given to children by elders.

No comments: